The Machine Debug Manager runs as a service and is loaded when your computer starts. If you do not use your computer for debugging purposes, you can safely turn off the Machine Debug Manager.
How to Turn Off the Machine Debug ManagerIf you run Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later, you can turn off the Machine Debug Manager by turning off script debugging. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open Internet Explorer.
- On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Click to select the Disable script debugging check box, and then click OK.
- Close Internet Explorer.
- If you run Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), delete the registry value that starts the Machine Debug Manager. To do this, follow these steps.
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
- In the Registry Editor, locate the following subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
- In the right pane, right-click MDM7, click Delete, and then click OK to confirm the deletion.
NOTE: The value for your version of the Machine Debug Manager may be different from MDM7.
- Close the Registry Editor.
NOTE: Running Detect and Repair in Office 2000 adds the registry entry for the Machine Debug Manager and causes it to run at startup. If this occurs on your system, use the previous procedure to remove the registry entry.
Article ID: 321410 - Last Review: Mar 15, 2008 - Revision: 1