A successful Windows startup includes the following phases:
- Initial phase
- Boot loader phase
- Kernel phase
- Logon phase
- The computer stops responding (hangs).
- You receive an error message.
Troubleshoot the Boot.ini fileOnly system administrators and advanced users should try to change the Boot.ini file. Steps for troubleshooting Boot.ini are beyond the scope of this article.
For more information, search the Microsoft Knowledge Base. To do this, go to the Microsoft Support website.
How to use the Microsoft Support website to find a solutionIf you cannot resolve the problem by following the steps in this article, you can use the Microsoft Support website to find a solution to your problem. The following list describes some of the services that the Microsoft Support website provides:
- Searchable Knowledge Base - Search technical support information and self-help tools for Microsoft products.
- Frequently Asked Questions - View product-specific frequently asked questions and support highlights.
- Software and Updates - Find software and updates on the Download Center.
- Other Support Options - Ask a support question by using the web or telephone Microsoft Support.
Article ID: 325375 - Last Review: Jul 12, 2013 - Revision: 1