- You cannot edit objects inserted into your Office document. If you double click an inserted object in a document in one of the programs that are listed at the beginning of this article you may receive one of the following error messages.
In Microsoft Word:This object is corrupt or is no longer available.The filename is not available.where file name is the name of the file that you are trying to open.
In Microsoft Excel:Cannot start the source application for this object.In Microsoft PowerPoint:The server application, source file, or item can't be found, or returned an unknown error. You may need to reinstall the server application.
In Microsoft Publisher:Publisher cannot launch or communicate with the OLE server program needed to complete this task.In Microsoft Project:Microsoft Project cannot start the server program for this object. · You cannot open office documents or templates.
- When you try to open an Office document or template, you may receive one of the following error messages: Files not availableThis template is unavailable -or- The object is corrupt or no longer available.
- In Microsoft Word 2002 or when Word 2002 is used as your e-mail editor in Microsoft Outlook 2002:This object is corrupt or is no longer available.Thewhere
filename is not available.
file name is the name of the file that you are trying to open.
- You installed Office XP SP-2 or Office 2000 SP-3.
- You are running one of the following Norton AntiVirus or Norton SystemWorks programs:
- Norton AntiVirus 2003
- Norton AntiVirus 2002
- Norton AntiVirus 2001
- Norton AntiVirus 2000
- Norton SystemWorks 2003
- Norton SystemWorks 2002
- Norton SystemWorks 2001
- Norton SystemWorks 2000
Method 1: Update Norton SoftwareVisit the following Norton Web site or contact Norton support to obtain the latest updates available for your Norton Antivirus software: For information about how to contact Symantec, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Method 2: Run Live Update (Norton AntiVirus 2002 Only)Use the Live Update feature in Norton to update the Norton Office plug-in. For more information about your Norton AntiVirus or Norton SystemWorks software, see your product documentation. Note An update to the Norton Office plug-in that resolves the issue described in this article may not be available in all languages.
The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.
Article ID: 328613 - Last Review: Jun 6, 2008 - Revision: 1