Note If you upgrade a previous version of Windows to Windows XP, and Show Desktop Icons was turned off in the previous Windows version, this setting is maintained, and user icons appear to be missing from the desktop. The Show Desktop Icons setting is ignored in previous versions of Windows if Active Desktop is turned off. In Windows XP, Active Desktop is always turned on and cannot be disabled.
- Right-click the desktop.
- Point to Arrange Icons By.
- Click Show Desktop Icons.
- Right-click the desktop, and then click
- On the Desktop tab, click
- Under Desktop icons, click to select the check boxes of the icons you want to view.
- Click OK two times.
Article ID: 330170 - Last Review: May 22, 2013 - Revision: 1