After you enter a BitLocker PIN at Windows startup on a new computer that is running an OEM version of Windows, you receive the following error message:
Too many PIN entry attempts
This issue occurs because the OEM doesn't reset the lockout count before shipping the device.
To work around this issue, try the following methods, in no particular order:
Contact the OEM for support.
- Input the BitLocker recovery key.
- Wait until the unlock period expires, and then enter the correct PIN.
- Reinstall the operating system, and then reset the TPM chip.
- Unlock the drive or turn off BitLocker. To do this, follow these steps:
- At the BitLocker entry screen, press ESC to access other recovery options.
- Select the command prompt option.
- Enter Manage-bde to either unlock the system drive or turn off BitLocker. To do this, enter the appropriate command, and then press Enter:
Unlock the system drive
Turn off BitLockermanage-bde –unlock <DriveLetter>: –recoverypassword <Password>manage-bde –unlock <DriveLetter>: –recoverykey <RecoveryKey>
manage-bde –off <DriveLetter>: