After you install the November 7, 2017, update for Outlook 2016 (KB4011240), you can follow these steps to control the default attachment state when you attach a cloud file in Microsoft Outlook 2016.
- In Outlook 2016, select File > Options > General.
In the Attachment options section, select the default state for the attachments that you choose in OneDrive or SharePoint from the following options:
- Ask me how I want to attach them every time (By default)
- Always share them as links
- Always attach them as copies
Note If you have not installed KB 4011240, the Attachment options section is not displayed on the General tab.
- Click OK.
You can also control the attachment state by using a registry key. To do this, follow the steps to set the registry key.
Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.
- Exit all Microsoft Office applications.
- Start Registry Editor by using the appropriate method for your version of Windows:
- In Windows 10, go to Start, enter regedit in the Search box, and then select regedit.exe in the search results.
- In Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, move your mouse to the upper-right corner, select Search, enter regedit in the search text box, and then select regedit.exe in the search results.
- In Windows 7, select Start, enter regedit in the Start Search box, and then select regedit.exe in the search results.
- Locate and then select the following registry subkey:
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then select DWORD Value.
- Enter CloudAttachmentsOption, and then press Enter.
- In the Details pane, press and hold (or right-click) CloudAttachmentsOption, and then select Modify.
In the Value data box, enter a value, and then select OK.
Note The following table describes the registry key values for different options.
Value data Description 0 (Default) Ask me how I want to attach them every time 1 Always share them as links 2 Always attach them as copies
- Exit Registry Editor.