Consider the following scenario:
- You configured Enterprise Mode Site List for Internet Explorer 11.
- You have the site list XML file hosted on a web server.
- You later update the site list XML file on the web server to a newer version.
In this situation, you encounter the following symptoms:
- Internet Explorer continues to use the old version of the site list XML file and does not download the updated site list from the web server.
- Internet Explorer may take a very long time to download the updated XML file from the web server, or you have to clear the browser cache to download the updated list.
This issue occurs because Internet Explorer may retrieve the site list XML file from the cache. This is due to standard caching rules.
To fix this issue, control the cache lifetime by specifying response headers that control the caching behavior of the resource. To do this, add a Cache-Control:no-cache response header to the content (the site list XML file). This will cause the content to be revalidated with the server every time that it's being referenced.