To play Steam®VR games with your Windows Mixed Reality immersive headset, you’ll need to install Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR on your PC. Here's how.
Looking for even more mixed reality experiences? See top apps and games for mixed reality
Get your PC ready
- Make sure your PC is running the latest version of Windows 10.
- Make sure you have no pending updates: Select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update. If updates are available, select Install now. If no updates are available, select Check for updates, and then install any new ones.
- PC requirements vary for the apps and content on Steam. See the minimum requirements per title.
Set up Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR
- First download Steam, create an account, and sign in.
- Download and install SteamVR.
- Install Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR.
- When ready, start SteamVR. The SteamVR Tutorial should start automatically.
Play SteamVR games
- Connect your headset to your PC and turn on your motion controllers.
- Once the Windows Mixed Reality home has loaded and your controllers are visible, open the Steam app on your desktop.
- Use the Steam app to launch a SteamVR game from your Steam library.
To launch SteamVR games without taking off your headset, you can find and launch them under Windows Mixed Reality's Start > All Apps.
Using mixed reality motion controllers with SteamVR
You'll use your motion controllers differently in different games. Here are a few basics to help you get started:
- To open the Steam dashboard, press straight down on the left thumbstick.
- To exit a SteamVR game and return to the Windows Mixed Reality home, press the Windows button. And then select the Mixed Reality Home button that appears on screen.
If you lock your PC screen, remove your headset, or switch users, or if your PC goes to sleep, the Steam app will close.