To play Steam®VR games with your Windows Mixed Reality immersive headset, you’ll need to install Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR on your PC. Here's how.
Looking for even more mixed reality experiences? See top apps and games for mixed reality
Get your PC ready
- Make sure your PC is running the latest version of Windows 10.
- Make sure you have no pending updates: Select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update. If updates are available, select Install now. If no updates are available, select Check for updates, and then install any new ones.
- PC requirements vary for the apps and content on Steam. See the minimum requirements per title. A PC with a GTX 1070 graphics card (or equivalent) and an Intel® Core™ i7 processor should offer a good experience for a broad range of titles.
Set up Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR
Play SteamVR games
- Connect your headset to your PC and turn on your motion controllers.
- Once the Windows Mixed Reality home has loaded and your controllers are visible, open the Steam app on your desktop.
- Use the Steam app to launch a SteamVR game from your Steam library.
To launch SteamVR games without taking off your headset, use the Desktop app (Start > Desktop) to view and interact with your PC desktop inside Windows Mixed Reality.
Using mixed reality motion controllers with SteamVR
You'll use your motion controllers differently in different games. Here are a few basics to help you get started:
- To open the Steam dashboard, press straight down on the left thumbstick.
- To exit a SteamVR game and return to the Windows Mixed Reality home, press the Windows button.
If you lock your PC screen, remove your headset, or switch users, or if your PC goes to sleep, the Steam app will close.