Error message 1
Additionally, Microsoft Office programs have a limitation for the total length of the path and the file name. The combined length cannot be more than 218 characters.
If the temporary file name in the Internet Temporary folder is longer than 218 characters, you will receive one of the error messages that is referenced in the "Symptoms" section.
- Internet Explorer 5.5 Service Pack 2 (5.50.4807.2300)
- Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
Subkey: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Internet Settings\
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Follow these steps, and then quit Registry Editor:
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click the following key in the registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Internet Settings\
- On the Edit menu, point to
New, and then click DWORD value.
- Type TruncateFileName, and then press ENTER.
- On the Edit menu, click
- Type 1, and then click
If you still cannot open a specific Office file, the temporary cache file may be damaged or corrupted. To resolve this problem, you must delete the temporary Internet files that Internet Explorer caches. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Internet Options on the
- Click Delete Files on the
- Click OK, and then click
Article ID: 416351 - Last Review: Mar 29, 2017 - Revision: 3