Consider the following scenario:
- Cumulative Update 8 for Microsoft Exchange Server 2016 is installed in the Exchange Server environment.
- You receive an email message from a Microsoft Outlook 2016 client.
- The message contains an Office attachment, such as a Word doc, Excel workbook, or PowerPoint presentation.
- The signature in the message contains an image, such as a .gif or .png file.
- You open the message in Outlook Web App (OWA).
In this scenario, if you click Preview to view the attachment as soon as the email message opens, and then you click Edit and Reply, you cannot edit the attachment. Additionally, you receive the following error message:
Something went wrong when the document preview was being created. Please try again later.
This issue occurs because OWA incorrectly sends the image signature instead of the attachment to the back-end server.