Use Microsoft Layout to create and design space plans on HoloLens or on a Windows Mixed Reality immersive headset. Import 3D models and design, edit, and collaborate virtually, on a real-world scale.
Need more help? Check out Microsoft Layout FAQ for answers to common questions.
What you’ll need
- A HoloLens running the Windows 10 April 2018 Update, and/or
- A Windows Mixed Reality immersive headset.
- A Windows Mixed Reality-ready PC running the Windows 10 April 2018 Update.
- An Internet connection.
- The Import Tool for Microsoft Layout, to transfer floorplans from Microsoft Visio or copy 3D models from your PC to your HoloLens.
If you’re an IT administrator and you need to deploy Layout on HoloLens Commercial Suite, see these instructions.
Install the apps
Microsoft Layout for HoloLens
Use it to: Create layouts by scanning your surroundings; place models in your layouts.
On your HoloLens, go to Start > Microsoft Store . Search for “Microsoft Layout," then install the app.
On your HoloLens right now? Get Layout
Microsoft Layout for Windows Mixed Reality immersive headsets
Use it to: Place models in layouts imported from HoloLens or Microsoft Visio.
Download on your PC, then connect your mixed reality headset to the PC and find the app on the mixed reality Start menu.
Use it to: Transfer floorplans from Microsoft Visio to HoloLens or Windows Mixed Reality; transfer layouts between HoloLens and Windows Mixed Reality; process 3D models for use on HoloLens.
Use Microsoft Layout
To use Layout, you’ll create space layouts on your HoloLens or PC, then use a HoloLens or Windows Mixed Reality immersive headset to place 3D models in the layouts. The Layout app comes with a set of preinstalled models, and you can also add your own.
Create a layout
There are two ways to create a layout:
- Use Microsoft Visio to design a floorplan, then export it to HoloLens or Windows Mixed Reality.
- Use Microsoft Layout on your HoloLens to scan a space.
To create a layout with Microsoft Visio
First, download and install the Visio Add-in for Microsoft Layout:
- Open the Import Tool for Microsoft Layout.
- Select About , then select the 32-bit or the 64-bit download.
- Open Visio and select File > Options > Add-ins.
- Next to Manage, select COM Add-ins, then select Go.
- Select Visio Add-in for Microsoft Layout, then select Add.
Next, use Visio to create your floorplan. When the floorplan is ready, select the Layout tab, then select Export. Save your floorplan.
Then, in the Import Tool for Microsoft Layout, select This PC > Add layout and navigate to the floorplan. Select the floorplan, and then select Open.
The floorplan will show up automatically in Microsoft Layout on a mixed reality immersive headset connected to the same PC.
To use the layout on HoloLens, you’ll need to move it there:
- Connect your HoloLens to your PC using the USB cable.
- In Microsoft Layout on the PC, select This PC > Layouts, select the check box on the layout(s) you want to copy, and then select Send.
- On HoloLens, open the Microsoft Layout app. You’ll find your layout on the Layouts tab.
To create a layout on HoloLens
On your HoloLens, open the Microsoft Layout app. Select New layout, then follow the instructions for scanning your space and creating a layout.
To move the layout to your PC so you can open it on a mixed reality immersive headset:
- Connect the HoloLens to the PC.
- Open the Import Tool for Microsoft Layout, and then select the HoloLens name.
- Select the check box on the layout you want to send to your PC, and then select Send.
Use the Import Tool for Microsoft Layout to convert and import 3D models
File types and guidelines for 3D models
FBX*, OBJ, STP, SKP, JT, and GLTF.
* There are limits on the complexity and size of FBX models that can be open simultaneously in Microsoft Layout:
- No more than one material per mesh
- No more than one set of UVs per mesh
- No more than 20 mesh components (< 5 preferred)
- No more than 65,000 total verts (< 10,000 preferred)
- No more than 30,000 total triangles (< 5,000 preferred)
To convert a model:
- On your PC, open the Import Tool for Microsoft Layout. Select Models > This PC, then select Add models.
- Navigate to the folder where your models are saved, and then select the models you want to add (up to 25 at a time). Select Open, and we’ll convert the models for you.
This might take a while, depending on how many models you're converting. The conversion happens in the cloud, so you’ll need an Internet connection.
Once your models are converted, they'll show up automatically in Microsoft Layout on a mixed reality immersive headset connected to the same PC.
To use it on HoloLens, you’ll need to copy it there:
- On your PC, open the Microsoft Layout app.
- Connect your HoloLens to the PC and sign in to the HoloLens.
- Select This PC > Models, then select the check boxes on the models you want to send to HoloLens.
- Select Send.
Working with models
On HoloLens and in Windows Mixed Reality, you can place, move, copy, resize, and rotate 3D models.
Place: Select Models, then gaze and air tap to select the model you want to place. Use gaze to move the model, then air tap again to place it.
Move: Gaze at a model, then tap and hold it. Move your hand to reposition the model, then release.
Resize: Gaze and air tap to select a model, then select Resize. Tap and hold any edge of the model, then move your hand in our out.
Rotate: Gaze and air tap to select the model. Select one of the rotation arrows to rotate 90 degrees. For more precise rotation, tap and hold the round rotation control, and then more your hand to rotate.
Copy: Gaze and air tap to select the model, then select Copy. Move the model where you want it, then air tap to place it. Then select Done.
In Windows Mixed Reality
Place: Select Models on the app menu. Point your controller at the model you want, and then pull and hold the trigger to pick it up. Point to where you want to place the model, then let go of the trigger.
Move: To move a model, point at it and pull and hold the trigger. Move your controller, then let go of the trigger to place it.
Resize: Select the model, then select Resize. Point at one edge of the object, then pull and hold the trigger. Drag the edge, then release the trigger.
Rotate: Point and pull the trigger to select the model. Then point at one of the rotation arrows and pull the trigger to rotate the model 90 degrees. For more precise rotation, use the round rotation control: point, pull and hold the trigger, and move your controller to rotate.
Copy: Select the model, then select Copy. Point your controller to where you want to place the copy, then pull the trigger again to place it.
To place multiple copies, just point and select again—no need to go back to the original. Then select Done on the last copy.