This article is intended to help administrators understand and troubleshoot problems when enrolling Windows devices in Intune. If you're a home user and looking for help with problems, ask the Microsoft Community.
Before you start troubleshooting, it’s important to collect some basic information. This information can help you better understand the problem and reduce the time to find a resolution.
For example, any time that you encounter a Windows device enrollment problem, check the following first:
- Is a valid Intune license assigned to the user?
Before users can enroll their devices, they must have the necessary license assigned.
- Is the latest update installed on the Windows device?
Some features in Intune only work with the latest version of Windows, and there are many fixes for known issues available through Windows Update. Applying all the latest updates often fix a Windows device enrollment problem.
Additionally, collect the following information about the problem:
- What is the exact error message?
- Where do you receive the error message?
- When did the problem start? Has enrollment ever worked?
- How many users are affected? Are all users affected or just some?
- How many devices are affected? Are all devices affected or just some?
- What is the MDM authority? If it's System Center Configuration Manager, what version of Configuration Manager are you using?
- How is enrollment being performed?
Now let's start troubleshooting based on the answers to these questions.
Still searching for a solution to a Windows enrollment problem? Post a question in our Microsoft Intune forum here. Many of our support engineers, MVPs and members of our development team frequent the forums, so there’s a good chance you’ll find someone there with the information you’re after.
If all else fails and you want to open a support request with the Microsoft Intune product support team, you can find information on how to do that here:
If you’d like more information regarding the enrollment of Windows devices in Microsoft Intune, please see the following documentation:
- Enroll Windows devices – This article contains information for all aspects of Windows enrollment, including how to enable automatic MDM enrollment, CNAME registration, bulk enrollment of devices, and more.
- Enroll your Windows 10 devices in Intune – This article describes the end user steps and experience for enrolling a Windows computer in Microsoft Intune.
For all the latest news, information and tech tips, visit our official Intune blogs: