Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6, Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1, Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.2, Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7, Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.1, Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2
This security update resolves a vulnerability in Microsoft .NET Framework that could allow remote code execution when Microsoft .NET Framework doesn't validate input correctly. An attacker who successfully exploits this vulnerability could take control of an affected system. The attacker could then install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts that use full user rights. Users whose accounts are configured to have fewer user rights on the system could be less affected than users who operate with administrative user rights.
To exploit the vulnerability, an attacker would have to pass specific input to an application that uses susceptible .NET Framework methods.
This security update addresses the vulnerability by correcting how .NET Framework validates input.To learn more about this vulnerability, see Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2018-8540.
- All updates for .NET Framework 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, and 4.7.2 require that the d3dcompiler_47.dll update is installed. We recommend that you install the included d3dcompiler_47.dll update before you apply this update. For more information about the d3dcompiler_47.dll, see KB 4019990.
- If you install a language pack after you install this update, you must reinstall this update. Therefore, we recommend that you install any language packs that you need before you install this update. For more information, see Add language packs to Windows.
Additional information about this security update
For more information about this security update as it relates to Windows Server 2012, see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
4471982 Security Only updates for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, and 4.7.2 for Windows Server 2012 (KB 4471982)
How to obtain and install the update
Method 1: Microsoft Update Catalog
To get the stand-alone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog.
Method 2: Windows Software Update Services (WSUS)
On your WSUS server, follow these steps:
- Select Start, select Administrative Tools, and then select Microsoft Windows Server Update Services 3.0.
- Expand ComputerName, and then select Action.
- Select Import Updates.
- WSUS opens a browser window in which you may be prompted to install an ActiveX control. Install the ActiveX control to continue.
- After the ActiveX control is installed, you see the Microsoft Update Catalog screen. Type 4471982 in the Search box, and then select Search.
- Locate the .NET Framework packages that match the operating systems, languages, and processors in your environment. Select Add to add them to your basket.
- After you select all the packages that you need, select View Basket.
- To import the packages to your WSUS server, select Import.
- After the packages are imported, select Close to return to WSUS.
The updates are now available for installation through WSUS.
Update deployment information
For deployment details for this security update, go to the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
20181211 Security update deployment information: December 11, 2018
Update removal information
Note We don't recommend that you remove any security update. To remove this update, use the Programs and Features item in Control Panel.
Update restart information
This update does not require a system restart after you apply it unless files that are being updated are locked or are being used.
Update replacement information
This update replaces update KB 3098784.