This security update resolves vulnerabilities in Microsoft Office that could allow remote code execution if a user opens a specially crafted Office file. To learn more about these vulnerabilities, see the following security advisories:
- Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2021-1641
- Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2021-1707
- Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2021-1712
- Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2021-1715
- Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2021-1716
- Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2021-1717
- Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2021-1719
Note To apply this security update, you must have the release version of Microsoft SharePoint Enterprise Server 2016 installed on the computer.
This public update delivers Feature Pack 2 for SharePoint Server 2016. Feature Pack 2 contains the following feature:
- SharePoint Framework (SPFx)
This public update also delivers all the features that were included in Feature Pack 1 for SharePoint Server 2016, including:
- Administrative Actions Logging
- MinRole enhancements
- SharePoint Custom Tiles
- Hybrid Taxonomy
- OneDrive API for SharePoint on-premises
- OneDrive for Business modern user experience (available to Software Assurance customers)
The OneDrive for Business modern user experience requires an active Software Assurance contract at the time that the experience is enabled, either by installation of the public update or by manual enablement. If you don't have an active Software Assurance contract at the time of enablement, you must turn off the OneDrive for Business modern user experience.
For more information, see the following Microsoft Docs articles:
Improvements and fixes
This security update enables the Search administrator to use the case-insensitive crawl behavior instead of case-sensitive crawling by setting the CaseSensitiveUrls property to 0. To do this, use the following PowerShell script:
$ssa = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication$ssa.SetProperty("CaseSensitiveUrls", 0)$ssa.Update()
This update also contains a fix for the following nonsecurity issue in Project Server 2016:
- If you delete many thousands of timesheets, the process might be slow.
How to get and install the update
Method 1: Microsoft Update
This update is available from Microsoft Update. When you turn on automatic updating, this update will be downloaded and installed automatically. For more information about how to get security updates automatically, see Windows Update: FAQ.
Method 2: Microsoft Update Catalog
To get the standalone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
Method 3: Microsoft Download Center
You can get the standalone update package through the Microsoft Download Center. Follow the installation instructions on the download page to install the update.
Security update deployment information
For deployment information about this update, see security update deployment information: January 12, 2021.
Security update replacement information
This security update replaces previously released security update 4486753.
File hash information
|File name||SHA1 hash||SHA256 hash|