Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
A remote code execution vulnerability exists in .NET software when the software fails to check the source markup of a file. An Authentication Bypass vulnerability exists in WCF and WIF, allowing signing of SAML tokens with arbitrary symmetric keys. This vulnerability allows an attacker to impersonate another user. The vulnerability exists in WCF, WIF 3.5 and above in .NET Framework, WIF 1.0 component in Windows, WIF Nuget package, and WIF implementation in Sharepoint. An information disclosure vulnerability exists when Exchange and Azure Active Directory allow creation of entities with Display Names having non-printable characters.
To learn more about the vulnerabilities, go to the following Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE).
Additional information about this update
- 4507412 Description of the Security Only Update for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, 4.7.2, 4.8 for Windows Server 2012 (KB4507412)
How to obtain and install the update
Method 1: Microsoft Update Catalog
To get the standalone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog.
Method 2: Windows Software Update Services (WSUS)
On your WSUS server, follow these steps:
- Select Start, select Administrative Tools, and then select Microsoft Windows Server Update Services 3.0.
- Expand ComputerName, and then select Action.
- Select Import Updates.
- WSUS opens a browser window in which you may be prompted to install an ActiveX control. You must install the ActiveX control to continue.
- After the ActiveX control is installed, you see the Microsoft Update Catalog screen. Type 4507412 into the Search box, and then select Search.
- Locate the .NET Framework packages that match the operating systems, languages, and processors in your environment. Select Add to add them to your basket.
- After you select all the packages that you require, select View Basket.
- To import the packages to your WSUS server, select Import.
- After the packages are imported, select Close to return to WSUS.
The updates are now available for installation through WSUS.
Update deployment information
For deployment details for this security update, go to the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
20190709 Security update deployment information: July 9, 2019
Update removal information
Note We do not recommend that you remove any security update. To remove this update, use the Programs and Features item in Control Panel.
Update restart information
This update does not require a system restart after you apply it unless files that are being updated are locked or are being used.
Update replacement information
This update replaces previously released updates 4457915.