This article describes the improvements and issues thatare fixed in the Azure File Sync Agent v10 release that is dated March 2020.Additionally, this article contains installation instructions for the update.
Improvements and issues that are fixed
Improved sync progress in the portal
- With the V10 agent release, the Azure portal will soon begin to show the type of sync session that is running. E.g. initial download, regular download, background recall (fast disaster recovery cases) and similar.
Improved cloud tiering portal experience
- If you have files that are failing to tier or recall, you can now view the tiering errors in the server endpoint properties.
- Additional cloud tiering information is available for a server endpoint:
- Local cache size
- Cache usage efficiency
- Cloud tiering policy details: volume size, current free space, or the last accessed time of the oldest file in the local cache.
- These changes will ship in the Azure portal shortly after the initial V10 agent release.
Support for moving the Storage Sync Service and/orstorage account to a different Azure Active Directory (AAD) tenant
- Azure File Sync now supports moving the Storage Sync Service and/or storage account to a different resource group, subscription or Azure AD tenant.
Miscellaneous performance and reliability improvements
- Change detection on the Azure file share may fail if virtual network (VNET) and firewall rules are configured on the storage account.
- Reduced memory consumption associated with recall.
- Improved performance when using the Invoke-AzStorageSyncChangeDetection cmdlet.
- Other miscellaneous reliability improvements.
More information about the Azure File Sync v10 release
- Thisupdate is available for Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2016 and WindowsServer 2019 installations.
- AzureFile Sync agent version 188.8.131.52 or a later version is required to upgradeexisting agent installations.
- A restart is required for servers that have an existing Azure File Sync agent installation.
- The agent version for the v10 release is 10.0.0.0.
How to obtain and install the Azure File Sync Agent
The Azure FileSync v10 release is currently being flighted to servers which are configured toautomatically update when a new version becomes available. Once fightingcompletes, this update will be available on Microsoft Update and MicrosoftDownload Center. Flighting means the release is offered to a limited number ofservers first and expands to more severs gradually. It may not be offered toyour server right away even if it’s configured to automatically update when anew version becomes available. To immediately install the Azure File Sync v10 release,manually download the update from the Microsoft Update Catalog.
To learn moreabout Azure File Sync agent auto-update, see automaticagent lifecycle management.
To obtain andinstall this update, configure your Azure File Sync agent to automaticallyupdate when a new version becomes available or manually download the update fromthe Microsoft Update Catalog.
Configure your Azure File Sync agent to automaticallyupdate when a new version becomes available
- During the Azure File Sync agent installation(version 6.0 or later), select the “Automatically update when a new versionbecomes available” setting.
- If the agent is already installed (version 6.0or later), run the following PowerShell commands to configure auto-update:
- Import-Module"C:\Program Files\Azure\StorageSyncAgent\StorageSync.Management.ServerCmdlets.dll"
- Set-StorageSyncAgentAutoUpdate-PolicyMode InstallLatest -Day <day> -Hour <hour>
Manually download and install the Azure File Syncagent update from the Microsoft Update Catalog
Go to the following website to manually download thisupdate from the Microsoft Update Catalog:
To manuallyinstall the update package, run the following command from an elevated commandprompt:
- msiexec.exe /p packagename.msp REINSTALLMODE=OMUSREINSTALL=StorageSyncAgent,StorageSyncAgentAzureFileSync,StorageSyncAgentGuardFilter,StorageSyncAgentUpdater/qb /l*v KB4522409.log
- msiexec.exe /pStorageSyncAgent_WS2016_KB4522409.mspREINSTALLMODE=OMUS REINSTALL=StorageSyncAgent,StorageSyncAgentAzureFileSync,StorageSyncAgentGuardFilter,StorageSyncAgentUpdater/qb /l*v KB4522409.log