IMPORTANT Verify that you have installed the required updates listed in the How to get this update section before installing this update.
IMPORTANT WSUS scan cab files will continue to be available for Windows Server 2008 SP2. If you have a subset of devices running this operating system without ESU, they might show as non-compliant in your patch management and compliance toolsets.
IMPORTANT Customers who have purchased the Extended Security Update (ESU) for on-premises versions of this OS must follow the procedures in KB4522133 to continue receiving security updates after extended support ends on January 14, 2020. For more information on ESU and which editions are supported, see KB4497181.
Improvements and fixes
This security update includes quality improvements. Key changes include:
- Security updates to Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Input and Composition, Windows Shell, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Cryptography, Windows Hyper-V, Windows Core Networking, Windows Peripherals, Windows Network Security and Containers, Windows Storage and Filesystems, and Windows Server.
For more information about the resolved security vulnerabilities, please refer to the Security Update Guide.
Known issues in this update
|After installing this update and restarting your device, you might receive the error, “Failure to configure Windows updates. Reverting Changes. Do not turn off your computer”, and the update might show as Failed in Update History.|| |
This is expected in the following circumstances:
If you have purchased an ESU key and have encountered this issue, please verify you have applied all prerequisites and that your key is activated. For information on activation, please see this blog post. For information on the prerequisites, see the "How to get this update" section of this article.
How to get this update
Before installing this update
You must install the updates listed below and restart your device before installing the latest Rollup. Installing these updates improves the reliability of the update process and mitigates potential issues while installing the Rollup and applying Microsoft security fixes.
- The April 9, 2019 servicing stack update (SSU) (KB4493730). To get the standalone package for this SSU, search for it in the Microsoft Update Catalog. This update is required to install updates that are only SHA-2 signed.
- The latest SHA-2 update (KB4474419) released October 8, 2019. If you are using Windows Update, the latest SHA-2 update will be offered to you automatically. This update is required to install updates that are only SHA-2 signed. For more information on SHA-2 updates, see 2019 SHA-2 Code Signing Support requirement for Windows and WSUS.
- The January 14, 2020 SSU (KB4536953) or later. To get the standalone package for this SSU, search for it in the Microsoft Update Catalog.
- The Extended Security Updates (ESU) Licensing Preparation Package (KB4538484) released February 11, 2020. The ESU licensing preparation package will be offered to you from WSUS. To get the standalone package for ESU licensing preparation package, search for it in the Microsoft Update Catalog.
After installing the items above, Microsoft strongly recommends that you install the latest SSU (KB4537830). If you are using Windows Update, the latest SSU will be offered to you automatically if you are an ESU customer. To get the standalone package for the latest SSU, search for it in the Microsoft Update Catalog. For general information about SSUs, see Servicing stack updates and Servicing Stack Updates (SSU): Frequently Asked Questions.
Install this update
|Release Channel||Available||Next Step|
|Windows Update and Microsoft Update||No||See the other options below.|
|Microsoft Update Catalog||Yes||To get the standalone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.|
|Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)||Yes|| |
This update will automatically sync with WSUS if you configure Products and Classifications as follows:
Product: Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2Classification: Security Updates
For a list of the files that are provided in this update, download the file information for update 4537822.