This article describes emerging issues that affect Extended Security Updates (ESU) deployments and the steps to troubleshoot these issues. This information is organized by task, as follows:
Activating ESU keys
You may exounter the following problems when you activate the ESU key on a computer. This section assumes that the computer has the product activation key and all the prerequisite updates for ESU installed.
This section is divided into four parts. Some problems may occur during any type of activation, and some problems are specific to the activation type that your use.
Any activation method
This section describes problems that you might encounter when you use the Slmgr tool for activation.
Volume Activation Management Tool (VAMT) activation
This section describes problems that you might encounter when you use VAMT online or proxy activation. When you do this, use the following VAMT proxy activation URLs:
- http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=82160 (This FWLink redirects to the preceding URL.)
Alternatively, include the following domains in the computer's whitelist:
This section describes problems that you might encounter when you use phone activation.
You may encounter the following problems when you install an ESU update on a computer. This section assumes that the computer has all of the prerequisite updates for ESU, and the product activation key is installed and activated.
When you install ESU on a device that runs a Windows Embedded operating system, you may notice the following problems.
- Troubleshooting Windows volume activation
- Resolve Windows activation error codes
- Using the Activation troubleshooter
- Get help with Windows activation errors
- FAQ about Extended Security Updates for Windows 7
- Obtaining Extended Security Updates for eligible Windows devices
- Frequently asked questions about ESU for Windows Server and SQL Server 2008 and 2008 R2
- How to use Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2 extended security updates (ESU)
- Extended Security Updates and Configuration Manager
- What are Extended Security Updates for SQL Server?
- Lifecycle FAQ-Extended Security Updates