- Windows Server 2008 for 32-bit Systems Service Pack 2
- Windows Server 2008 for 32-bit Systems Service Pack 2 (Server Core installation)
- Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-Based Systems Service Pack 2
- Windows Server 2008 for x64-based Systems Service Pack 2
This update makes quality improvements to the servicing stack, which is the component that installs Windows updates. Servicing stack updates (SSU) make sure that you have a robust and reliable servicing stack so that your devices can receive and install Microsoft updates.
Important Before you install this update, see the Prerequisites section.
How to get this update
Method 1: Windows Update
This update is available through Windows Update. It will be downloaded and installed automatically.
Method 2: Microsoft Update Catalog
To get the stand-alone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
Method 3: Windows Server Update Services
This update is also available through Windows Server Update Services (WSUS).
To install Windows Server 2008 SP2 updates released on or after July 2019, you must have the following required updates installed. If you use Windows Update, these required updates will be offered automatically as needed.
- You must have the SHA-2 update (KB4474419) that is dated September 23, 2019 or a later SHA-2 update installed and then restart your device before you apply this update. For more information about SHA-2 updates, see 2019 SHA-2 Code Signing Support requirement for Windows and WSUS.
- You must have installed the servicing stack update (SSU) (KB4493730) that is dated March 12, 2019. For more information about the latest SSU updates, see ADV990001 | Latest Servicing Stack Updates.
Important You must restart your device after you install these required updates.
You don't have to restart your computer after you apply this update.
Servicing stack updates (SSUs) make changes to how updates are installed and cannot be uninstalled from the device.
Update replacement information
This update replaces the previously released SSU update KB4550736.
For information on SSUs, see the following articles:
- Servicing stack updates
- ADV990001 | Latest Servicing Stack Updates
- Servicing Stack Updates (SSU): Frequently Asked Questions
Learn about the terminology that Microsoft uses to describe software updates.