Applies to: All Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 editions except Isolated and Integrated Shells, Build Tools, Remote Tools, and Express for Web
In November 2020, the content of this article was updated to clarify the affected products, prerequisites, and restart requirements. Additionally, the update metadata in WSUS was revised to fix a Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager reporting bug.
To apply this security update, you must have both Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 and the subsequent Cumulative Servicing Release KB 3165756 installed. Typically, KB 3165756 is installed automatically when you install Visual Studio 2015 Update 3. However, in some cases, you have to install the two packages separately.
We recommend that you close Visual Studio 2015 before you install this security update. Otherwise, you may have to restart the computer after you apply this security update if a file that is being updated is open or in use by Visual Studio.
Security update replacement information
This security update doesn't replace other security updates.
File hash information
|File name||SHA1 hash||SHA256 hash|
To verify that this security update is applied correctly, follow these steps:
- Open the Visual Studio 2015 program folder.
- Locate the Dxtex.dll file in the Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft\VsGraphics folder.
- Verify that the file version is equal to or greater than 14.0.27543.0.
If you elected to install the optional component (Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.0/8.1 Tools), follow these additional steps:
- Locate the Dxtex.dll file in the Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft\VsGraphics folder.
- Verify that the file version is equal to or greater than 12.0.40689.0.
- Locate the Dxtex.dll file in the Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft\VsGraphics folder.
- Verify that the file version is equal to or greater than 11.0.61246.400.