Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6 Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.2 Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7 Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.1 Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8
An information disclosure vulnerability exists when the .NET Framework improperly handles objects in memory. An attacker who successfully exploited the vulnerability could disclose contents of an affected system's memory. To exploit the vulnerability, an authenticated attacker would need to run a specially crafted application. The update addresses the vulnerability by correcting how the .NET Framework handles objects in memory.
To learn more about the vulnerabilities, go to the following Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE).
For a list of improvements that were released with this update, please see the article links in the Additional Information section of this article.
- As a reminder to advanced IT administrators, updates to .NET Framework 3.5 for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 should only be applied on systems where .NET Framework 3.5 is present and enabled. Customers who attempt to pre-install updates to .NET Framework 3.5 to offline images that do not contain the .NET Framework 3.5 product enabled will expose these systems to failures to enable .NET Framework 3.5 after the systems are online. For more extensive information about deploying .NET Framework 3.5, see Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Deployment Considerations.
- All updates for Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 require that update KB 2919355 is installed. We recommend that you install update KB 2919355 on your Windows 8.1-based, Windows RT 8.1-based, or Windows Server 2012 R2-based computer so that you receive updates in the future.
- If you install a language pack after you install this update, you must reinstall this update. Therefore, we recommend that you install any language packs that you need before you install this update. For more information, see Add language packs to Windows.
Additional information about this update
- 4578953 Description of the Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5 for Windows 8.1, RT 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB4578953)
- 4578956 Description of the Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 4.5.2 for Windows 8.1, RT 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB4578956)
- 4578962 Description of the Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, 4.7.2 for Windows 8.1, RT 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB4578962)
- 4578976 Description of the Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 4.8 for Windows 8.1, RT 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB4578976)