During access to NLB virtual IP/NLB Virtual Name, the user may prompt to a username and password,
and the following error may add to the local system event log:
Event ID: 4
"The kerberos client received a KRB_AP_ERR_MODIFIED error from the server host/myserver.domain.com. This indicates that the password used to encrypt the kerberos service ticket is different than that on the target server. Commonly, this is due to identically named machine accounts in the target realm (domain.com), and the client realm. Please contact your system administrator."
During access to the IIS 6 web site that support Windows Integrated Authentication, the following
issues may occur:
1. Mismatch DNS name resolution - The issue is very common in a NLB environment that uses a multiplies
IP's or/and multiplies network adapters.
2. The user doesn’t have a Local NTFS access permission.
3. The Web Site is using Application Pool with a poor permission settings.
To resolve the error issue, consider to implement the following tests:
1. Verify that the IIS has been setup with correct NTFS settings.
Integrated Windows Authentication (IIS 6.0)
2. Verify that each cluster node has been setup with correct DNS settings.
3. Verify that the node has been setup with correct "Application Pool' settings:
Configuring Application Pool Identity with IIS 6.0 (IIS 6.0)
4. Verify that internet explorer has been setup with a correct security settings.
Authentication and Access Control Diagnostics 1.0 (x86)
Internet Information Services Diagnostic Tools
Article ID: 558115 - Last Review: Feb 14, 2017 - Revision: 1