When you run the ipconfig /renew command at a command prompt, you may receive the following error message:
An error occurred while renewing interface local area connection: The system cannot find the file specified.
This issue may occur if either of the following conditions exist:
- You are running firewall software.
- Your Windows installation is damaged.
To resolve this issue:
- Make sure that a firewall is not enabled on your local area connection, and that no other third-party firewall software is installed. If you are running a third-party firewall program, view the documentation for that software.
For additional information about how to disable the Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:283673 HOW TO: Enable or Disable Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP
- Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
- At the command prompt, type netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt, and then press ENTER to reset the TCP/IP network protocol.
- At the command prompt, type ipconfig /renew, and then press ENTER. If the error still occurs, you must repair the Windows XP installation.
For additional information about how to repair your Windows XP installation, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:315341 How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP
Article ID: 810606 - Last Review: Sep 23, 2011 - Revision: 1
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Microsoft Windows XP Professional