- Click Start, and then click
- Click All files and folders.
- In the All or part of the file name box, type mapi32.dll, and then click
- When the search process is complete, right-click the
Mapi32.dll file, and then click
- Type Mapi32.old, and then press ENTER.
- Click Start a new search, and then click
All files and folders.
- In the All or part of the file name box, type fixmapi.exe, and then click
- When the search process is complete, double-click
Fixmapi.exe to start the repair process.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the repair process.
Note This issue may affect programs such as the Exchange System Manager, even if the Exchange Server is not on the same computer as the Exchange System Manager. The issue occurs after you run the Fixmapi.exe program. If you replace the MAPI file with the Outlook MAPI file, Exchange System Manager may not work anymore. Also, if you do not replace the file, Outlook may not work correctly. This error occurs each time you start Outlook until you replace the file with the Outlook MAPI file, but this action breaks Exchange System Manager. Because of this, Microsoft recommends that you do not have Outlook 2000 or earlier on the same computer as Exchange System Manager or Exchange server. To avoid this scenario, use Outlook Web Access or a Terminal Server session to access e-mail messages.
Article ID: 813602 - Last Review: Sep 20, 2011 - Revision: 1