Error message 1
Error message 2
Alternatively, this issue may occur if your firewall software is blocking the attempt to connect to the server through your Internet connection. When the Activation Wizard cannot connect to an internal Microsoft server to transfer your installation ID to Microsoft, you receive an error message.
Method 1Click I want to activate the software by telephone when the Microsoft Office Activation Wizard starts, and then follow the instructions on the screen to activate your software by telephone.
Method 2Configure the firewall software to let the Activation Wizard connect to the Microsoft server. To do this, use one of the following options:
- Option 1 Visit the following Microsoft Web site, and then follow the steps that are described in that Web site:
- Option 2 Add the following to the proxy's authentication exclusion list: productactivation.one.microsoft.com
Method 3Restart the computer in Windows Safe Mode With Networking, and then try to activate the software. To do this, follow these steps:
- Print these instructions. The instructions will not be available after you shut down your computer in step 2.
- Click Start, and then click Shut Down.
- In the Shut Down Windows dialog box, select Restart in the What do you want the computer to do drop-down list, and then click OK.
- When your computer is restarting, press F8 before Windows opens.
Note On a computer that is configured to start multiple operating systems, you can press F8 when the boot menu appears.
- Use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode With Networking, and then press ENTER.
Note If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, select the installation that you have to access by using the arrow keys, and then press ENTER.
Article ID: 822519 - Last Review: Oct 29, 2008 - Revision: 1