- Use the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD to restart your computer.
- When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to select the To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R option.
- Type the number of the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console, and then press ENTER.
- Type the administrator password when you are prompted, and then press ENTER. If no administrator password exists, just press ENTER.
- At the command prompt, type the following commands (press ENTER after each command):cd \windows\system32\driversNote This step renames the corrupted Ntfs.sys file to Ntfs.old. If the Ntfs.sys file is not found, the file is missing.
ren ntfs.sys ntfs.old
- At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:copy cd:\i386\ntfs.sys drive:\windows\system32\driversWhere cd is the drive letter for the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD, and drive is the drive where you installed Windows XP.
- Remove the Windows XP CD from your CD-ROM drive, type quit at a command prompt, and then press ENTER to quit the Recovery Console.
- Restart the computer.
Article ID: 822800 - Last Review: Mar 29, 2017 - Revision: 3