When you try to open a saved message (.msg) file in Microsoft Outlook 2002, you receive the following error message:
Cannot Start Microsoft Outlook
This behavior occurs if all the following conditions are true:
- You created and saved the .msg file by using Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 or Microsoft Office Outlook 2007.
- The computer where you tried to open the .msg file has Microsoft Outlook 2002 installed.
To work around this behavior, turn off the Unicode Message Format as the default format for e-mail messages. To do this, follow these steps:
- On the Tools menu, click
- On the Other tab, click Advanced Options.
- In the Advanced Options dialog box, click to clear the Use Unicode Message Format when saving messagescheck box, and then click OK two times.
- Quit and restart Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2007.