back to the top
Determine Whether the Virtual PC Additions Are InstalledTo determine whether the Virtual PC Additions are installed, view the Shared Folders icon on the Virtual PC toolbar. If the Shared Folders icon is not available (that is, it appears dimmed), the Additions are not installed. If the Shared Folders icon is available (that is, it does not appear dimmed), the Additions are installed.
back to the top
Install the AdditionsTo install the Additions, follow these steps:
- Start the guest PC, and then on the PC menu, click Install/Update Additions. The Virtual PC installation program appears on the guest PC.
- Read the license agreement, and if you agree, click I agree to the terms of this license agreement.
- Click Next.
- In the information window that appears, click Next.
- Click Next to continue with the Additions installation, and then click Finish after the installation has completed, and then restart the guest PC.
- Microsoft Windows 95
- Microsoft Windows 98
- Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 3 (SP3) or later
- Microsoft Windows 2000 with Service Pack 2 (SP2) or later
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003
Features That Are Provided by the Virtual PC AdditionsVirtual PC provides a number of features that integrate a Windows guest PC with your host PC. These features are provided by the Virtual PC Additions; they are not native to Windows. The Virtual PC Additions must be installed manually on the guest PC boot partition after the operating system has been installed. If you are using an OS Pack from Connectix, the Additions are pre-installed on the boot partition that is included with the OS Pack.
For additional information about the boot partition, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
- Drag-and-drop editing
- Folder sharing
- Integrated mouse
- Joystick support
- International keyboard support
- MS-DOS CD-ROM support
- Optimized video drivers
- VPC helper (includes SyncTime)
Article ID: 824619 - Last Review: Jun 20, 2014 - Revision: 1