Important This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
- You cannot move icons on the desktop.
- You cannot view event log entries.
- You can open the Services Microsoft Management Console (MMC), but you cannot see any services listed.
Microsoft recommends that you do not disable the RPC service.
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type regedt32, and then click
- Expand the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs\
- Double-click Start, type
2 in the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, and then click OK.
- Close Registry Editor, and then restart your computer.
- Start your computer to the Recovery Console.
- At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:Enable RPCSS Service_Auto_Start
- At the Recovery Console command prompt, type
EXIT, and then press ENTER.
- Restart your computer.
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service
- COM+ Event System
- Distributed Link Tacking Client
- Distributed Transaction Coordinator
- Fax Service
- Indexing Service
- IPSec Policy Agent
- Network Connections
- Print Spooler
- Protected Storage
- Removable Storage
- Routing Information Protocol (RIP) Listener
- Routing and Remote Access
- Task Scheduler
- Windows Installer
- Windows Management Instrumentation
Article ID: 830071 - Last Review: Mar 29, 2017 - Revision: 3