The installer that the MS04-003 security update uses extracts its contents to a subfolder of the TEMP folder. If the TEMP folder is encrypted, the update files are not successfully copied to the Windows\System32 folder when you restart your computer. One of the files that the MS04-003 security update installs is required by the Microsoft Graphical Identification and Authentication DLL file (Msgina.dll). The Msgina.dll file is, in turn, required by the Winlogon service.
Note When you successfully restart your computer after you experience the issue that is described in the "Symptoms" section, the MS04-003 security update is not yet installed on your computer.
Part 1: Restore your computer to a working stateTo restore your computer to a working state, follow these steps:
- When you receive the error message that is described in the "Symptoms" section, click Restart.
- Press F8 repeatedly as your computer begins to restart. This triggers the Windows Advanced Options menu.
- Use the arrows on your keyboard to select Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.
Part 2: Manually install the MS04-003 security updateTo obtain and install the security update, follow these steps:
- Download the MS04-003 security update, and then save it on your computer. For additional information about how to download this update, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:832483 MS04-003: Buffer overrun in an MDAC function could allow code execution
- Install the MS04-003 security update by running the installation package with the /T: command-line switch. This switch permits you to specify an unencrypted location for the installer to extract the package contents to. For example, to install the English-language version of the MS04-003 security update for Intel-x86-based computers, and to extract the files to the C:\alternate_temp folder, type the following at the command prompt:file_path\ENU_Q832483_MDAC_x86.EXE /T:C:\alternate_temp