back to the top
- 841455 Digitally signed messages sent as clear text signed are identified by a blue icon in Outlook 2003
- After you configure the Level1Remove registry entry to allow specific file types in Outlook 2003, Outlook 2003 continues to block attachments that do not contain at least one alphanumeric character. For example, if you configure the Level1Remove
registry entry to allow attachments with the ".$#!" file name extension, Outlook 2003 continues to block them.
- Outlook 2003 items that are marked private may be accessible to delegate users. When a delegate user copies a folder by dragging it, items that flagged as private may no longer be private in the copied folder.
- Outlook 2003 may not be able to establish a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) connection to an SMTP server that is configured to use Transport Layer Security (TLS).
- Messages that contain large custom properties may be displayed with a blank message body in Outlook 2003.
- When you export an Outlook 2003 calendar to a Microsoft Access file or to a Microsoft Excel workbook, the exported appointments may have incorrect times. The appointment times are incorrect by an increment of 1 hour. This problem occurs for non-recurring appointments when you use one of the following Australian time zones:
- Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne
- When you create a custom contact form in Outlook 2003, Revise Contents is not displayed on the Edit menu.
- When contact data in Outlook 2003 contains a smart quotation mark, you cannot perform a mail merge that includes this contact.
- A user who has delegate reviewer permissions may not be able to view an Outlook 2003 calendar item by using an earlier version of Outlook.
- Rules that you configure for Outlook 2003 folders do not work when you use Outlook 2003 in offline mode. Additionally, you cannot modify rules in offline mode.
- Duplicate meeting cancellation notices are re-sent to all meeting attendees if one attendee is removed from the meeting series.
- When more than one certificate is available, Outlook 2003 may not use the certificate with the latest expiration date.
- When you print an Outlook 2003 calendar that uses the month view, color may not be printed correctly for appointment labels.
- When you send e-mail programmatically, style sheets may not be applied and attachments may not be displayed in the e-mail message.
- Custom contact forms in Outlook 2003 may not display extended characters when the form contains lots of code.
- After you programmatically save a Microsoft Word document that is embedded in an Outlook 2003 WordMail message, you may be not be able to create new messages. When this problem occurs, you may experience the following symptoms:
- When you try to create a new e-mail message, you receive the following error message: Microsoft WordMail could not be started. Close any open dialog boxes in Word and try again.
- If you quit Outlook 2003, you may receive the following message:
- You cannot quit Word, except by using the Task Manager.
- When you try to create a new e-mail message, you receive the following error message:
- If you use a third-party Outlook 2003 add-in while Outlook is not running, you may receive the following error message:Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.If you view the details of the error message, you receive an error signature that is similar to the following: Application Name Application Version Module Name Module Version Offset ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- outlook.exe 11.0.5510.0 msmapi32.dll 11.0.5601.0 3f2cc673
- When you try to send an e-mail message to an Outlook 2003 contact that resides on a public folder, you may receive the following error message if you do not have write permissions on the public folder: You do not have sufficient permission to perform this operation on this object. See the folder contact or the system administrator
- When you try to dismiss or snooze a reminder that is contained in an e-mail message, you may receive the following error message: Cannot turn off the reminder. You may be reminded againThis problem may occur when the following conditions are all true:
- The e-mail message that contains the reminder is encrypted.
- The e-mail message that contains the reminder is digitally signed.
- The Send clear text signed message when sending signed messages check box is not selected on the Security tab in the Options dialog box.
- When you try to import e-mail messages into an Outlook 2003 mailbox, Outlook tries to import each message after the mailbox has reached its size limit.
- Outlook 2003 may leak memory when you copy messages from Outlook to a local folder or network location.
- When you try to open an Outlook 2003 form that contains a custom action, you may receive the following error message: Could not install the custom actions
- Outlook 2003 may quit unexpectedly when you click the Scheduling tab on a meeting request that contains a personal distribution list (PDL).
- Attachments may open in a read-only state. This problem may occur if you perform the following actions in the following order:
- You open the attachment from within the reading pane in Outlook 2003.
- You open the attachment from within an open e-mail message window.
- If you view the calendar of another user while using Outlook 2003 in cached mode, repeated appointments may start to disappear from the calendar after a short time. This problem may occur when you start Outlook 2003 with the /cleanfreebusy switch.
- If you move a message that has a digital signature and an open attachment, the digital signature may be overwritten. This behavior may occur even though the attachment has not been modified or saved.
- Mapped drives are not available if you click Browse when you try to open a form template in Outlook 2003.
- Folders are not displayed on the Outlook 2003 Outlook Today window when the folder name is longer than approximately 130 characters .
- You may not be able to copy a message to another folder when the message has been flagged complete.
- When you display multiple time zones in Outlook 2003 calendar view, the times may be displayed incorrectly. This problem may occur when the following conditions are true:
- You are using Outlook 2003 calendar view with a 1-day or 5-day layout.
- Two time zones are displayed in the Calendar pane.
- The time is displayed in 60-minute intervals.
- One of the time zones differs from the other by some increment other than 1 hour. For example, the Newfoundland time zone differs from the next time zone by one half-hour. The Newfoundland time zone is - 03:30 in coordinated universal time (Greenwich Mean Time).
- When you select non-contiguous days in Outlook 2003 calendar work week, some working days are not displayed in the Work Week view.
- The Outlook 2003 Inbox welcome e-mail message may be displayed incorrectly if the default message format is set to plain text or rich text.
- When you make changes to the digital signature or encryption of an Outlook 2003 e-mail message by using an Outlook add-in, your changes may not have any effect.
- The keyboard input language setting in Outlook 2003 may change unexpectedly when you open a new outlook item.
- When you use Outlook 2003 to access a third-party store add-in, you may receive the following error message: Out of memory or system resources. Close some windows or programs and try again.This problem may occur when the following conditions are all true:
- Outlook is not in cached mode.
- Offline Folder files (.ost) are disabled.
- The third-party store is expanded from an earlier Outlook session.
- You try to access create a new message by clicking New, or you click Advanced Options on the Other tab in the Outlook Options dialog box.
- When you export calendar items from Outlook 2003, items that fall outside the selected date range may also be exported.
- If you granted reviewer permissions to a delegate user by using an earlier version of Outlook, that user may not be able to access your calendar items after you upgrade to Outlook 2003.
- When you try to update an Outlook 2003 meeting, the meeting location may disappear.
- When you configure Outlook 2003 to publish 0 months of free/busy information, Outlook may report busy time as free time instead of displaying a red mark to indicate that the free/busy information is not published.
- When you use Word 2003 as your e-mail editor, and you send e-mail in HTML format, you cannot insert a graphic file in your Outlook 2003 e-mail auto-signature.
Service pack informationThis problem is corrected in Office 2003 Service Pack 2.
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Office 2003. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix.
Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
back to the top
- The optimized version of this hotfix is a post-Office 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1) hotfix. To install the hotfix, you must have Office 2003 SP1 installed. For additional information about Office 2003 SP1, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:842532 Description of Office 2003 Service Pack 1
back to the top
For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
back to the topFor additional information about the registry key that must be created or modified, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
back to the top
The global version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
Date Time Version Size File name
23-Aug-2004 15:51 5.0.2919.6304 5,258,272 Office2003-kb839629-glb.exe
Microsoft Windows Installer MSP file information:
Date Time Size File name
21-Aug-2004 00:07 8,669,696 Outlookff.msp
20-Aug-2004 18:58 3,433,984 Outlookop.msp
After you install the hotfix , the global version of this fix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table.
back to the top
Date Time Version Size File name
18-Aug-2004 07:25 11.0.6400.0 76,488 Dlgsetp.dll
18-Aug-2004 07:26 11.0.6400.0 132,296 Envelope.dll
18-Aug-2004 07:18 11.0.6400.0 345,800 Exsec32.dll_0001
18-Aug-2004 07:31 11.0.6400.0 122,056 Impmail.dll
18-Aug-2004 07:55 11.0.6400.0 158,912 Oladd.fae
18-Aug-2004 07:58 11.0.6400.0 152,256 Olappt.fae
18-Aug-2004 07:58 11.0.6400.0 117,952 Oljrnl.fae
18-Aug-2004 07:55 11.0.6400.0 113,344 Olmail.fae
18-Aug-2004 07:58 11.0.6400.0 104,640 Olnote.fae
18-Aug-2004 07:41 11.0.6400.0 146,624 Oltask.fae
18-Aug-2004 07:28 11.0.6400.0 7,572,680 Outllib.dll
28-Apr-2004 06:10 11.0.6353.0 196,296 Outlook.exe
18-Aug-2004 07:18 11.0.6400.0 140,480 Outlph.dll
18-Aug-2004 07:24 11.0.6400.0 44,744 Outlvbs.dll_0001
11-Mar-2004 22:01 11.0.6254.0 74,936 Rm.dll
18-Aug-2004 07:41 11.0.6400.0 100,552 Transmgr.dll
- For more information about installing this hotfix, see the Readme.txt file that the package contains.
- For more information about the differences between the two MSP files, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
This problem was first corrected in Office 2003 Service Pack 2.
Article ID: 839629 - Last Review: Mar 29, 2017 - Revision: 4