The product keys that have been determined by Microsoft to be not valid create a product ID that matches one of the following product IDs:
- Determine the Windows product ID on your computer. To do this:
- Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
- Click the Generaltab, and then make a note of the product ID number that is listed under Registered to.
- Click OK.
- Do one or both of the following, depending on your situation:
- If your Windows product ID matches any one of the product IDs that are listed in the "Cause" section, you may be a victim of software piracy. To report software piracy, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
- If you are a Microsoft volume license customer, and you have licenses for Windows Server 2003, use the Windows Server 2003 media and the Volume License Product Key that is provided with your agreement to perform a clean installation of Windows Server 2003 on the computer where you received the error message. The quality of the original installation media that was used to install Windows Server 2003 and the product key is not known, and may cause other issues.
If you cannot perform a clean installation, you may have to change the product ID.
Article ID: 842196 - Last Review: Mar 29, 2017 - Revision: 4