When you try to install Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 or Microsoft Visual Studio .NET on your computer, you may not be able to install it, and you may receive the following error message:
Error 1317 An error occurred while attempting to create the directory Drive Name:\Folder NameNote Drive Name is a placeholder for the name of the drive, and Folder Name is a placeholder for the path where you want to install Visual Studio 2005 or Visual Studio .NET.
This error occurs when the SYSTEM account on the particular drive does not have correct permissions. The SYSTEM account allows Visual Studio 2005 or Visual Studio .NET to have access to that drive.
To resolve this problem, make sure that the particular drive has the SYSTEM account. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type compmgmt.msc, and then click OK. The Computer Management window appears.
- In the left pane of the Computer Management window, expand Computer Management (Local), expand Storage, and then click Disk Management.
- In the right pane, right-click the disk drive where you want to install Visual Studio 2005 or Visual Studio .NET, and then click Properties. The Local Disk (Drive Name:) Properties dialog box appears.
- Click the Security tab, and then click Advanced. The Advanced Security Settings for Local Disk (Drive Name:) dialog box appears.
Note On a computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP, you must also follow these steps to access the Security tab after you follow steps 1 through 4:
- Start Windows Explorer.
- On the Tools menu, click Folder Options. The Folder Options dialog box appears.
- Click the View tab.
- In the Advanced settings list, click to select the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box.
- Click Apply, and then click OK.
- Close Windows Explorer.
- In the Advanced Security Settings for Local Disk (Drive Name:) dialog box, click the Permissions tab.
- In the Permission entries list, click SYSTEM, and then click Edit. The Permission Entry for Local Disk (Drive Name:) dialog box appears.
- Click to select the Allow check box for all the permissions in the Permissions list, and then click OK.
- In the Advanced Security Settings for Local Disk (Drive Name:) dialog box, click Apply, and then click OK.
- In the Local Disk (Drive Name:) Properties dialog box, click OK.
- Close the Computer Management window.
- Install Visual Studio .NET.
This behavior is by design.
For additional information, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
312779 INFO: Visual Studio .NET Readme (Part 1)
316250 INFO: Visual Studio .NET Readme (Part 2)
319714 How to troubleshoot Visual Studio .NET installation
873311 You receive error messages when you try to install Visual Studio .NET on a computer that is running Windows 2000 Server Service Pack 2
Article ID: 872903 - Last Review: May 13, 2008 - Revision: 1