Beginning with Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), a new visual feature named the Information Bar is added to Microsoft Internet Explorer and to Windows Internet Explorer. You may notice that the Information Bar alerts you to files that are blocked from being downloaded when you visit a Web site. This article describes how to configure these automatic download prompts.
To control notification for ActiveX controls and for file downloads, follow these steps:
- In Internet Explorer, click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
- Click the Securitytab.
- There are four security zones listed:
- Local intranet
- Trusted sites
- Restricted sites
- Under Security level for this zone, click Custom Level.
- Under ActiveX controls and plug-ins, under Automatic prompting for ActiveX controls, click Disable or click Enable.
- Under Downloads, under Automatic prompting for file downloads, click Disable or click Enable, and then click OK two times.
- Click Tools, point to Pop-up Blocker, and then click Pop-up Blocker Settings.
- Click to select or click to clear the Show Information Bar when a pop-up window is blocked check box.
- Click Close.
- Click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Click to select or click to clear the Allow active content to run in files on My Computer check box.
- Click to select or click to clear the Allow active content from CDs to run on My Computer check box, and then click OK.
843017 Description of the Internet Explorer Information Bar in Windows XP Service Pack 2