- Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
- Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)
- Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
Setup cannot copy the file Atapi.sys
Ensure that the location specified below is correct, or change it and insert 'Windows XP System Files' in the drive you specify.
- Alcohol 120%
For more information about Alcohol 120%, visit the following Alcohol Software Web site:
- DAEMON Tools
For more information about DAEMON Tools, visit the following DAEMON Tools Web site:
Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.
Note In these steps, you can substitute Windows XP SP2 with the service pack that you want to install.
- In the error message dialog box that is described in the "Symptoms" section, click Cancel. You then receive the following message:
- Click No. The Windows XP SP2 installation will roll back to your earlier Windows installation.
Note If you click Yes, the Windows XP SP2 Setup program will continue without creating a backup copy of the Atapi.sys file. If you later remove Windows XP SP2, the Atapi.sys file will not revert to the earlier version, and your Windows XP-based computer may become unstable.
- Remove the programs that are described in the "Cause" section.
- Install Windows XP SP2.
- Reinstall the programs that you removed in step 3.
Article ID: 884675 - Last Review: Mar 29, 2017 - Revision: 4