When you use the Ntdsutil command-line tool to try to remove metadata for a domain controller that was removed from your network, you may receive the following error message:
DsRemoveDsDomainW error 0x2015 (The directory service can perform the requested operation only on a leaf object.)
This issue may occur when the application partition naming context (DC=DomainDnsZones) for the child domain is not removed when Active Directory is removed from the domain controller.
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type ntdsutil, and then press ENTER.
- At the Ntdsutil command prompt, type domain management, and then press ENTER.
- Type connections, and then press ENTER.
- Type connect to server Domain_Controller_Name, and then press ENTER.
- After the following message appears, type quit, and then press ENTER:
- At the domain management prompt, type list, and then press ENTER.
- Note the following entry:DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=Child_Domain, DC=extensionFor example, if the child domain is Contoso.com, note the following entry:DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=contoso,DC=com
- Type the following command, and then press ENTER.delete nc dc=domaindnszones,dc=Child_Domain,dc=extensionNote In this command, Child_Domain represents the name of the child domain that you want to remove. For example, if the child domain is Contoso.com, type the following command, and then press ENTER:delete nc dc=domaindnszones,dc=contoso,dc=com
- Quit Ntdsutil.
Article ID: 887424 - Last Review: Jan 4, 2008 - Revision: 1