This article describes how to install and to configure the external connector for a Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008 terminal server or Windows Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Session Host server. A terminal server is a server that has Terminal Server enabled.
To install and to configure the external connector for a Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008 terminal server, follow these steps:
- Activate your Windows Server Terminal Server License Server.
For additional information about how to activate a Terminal Server License Server, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:325869 How to activate a License Server by using Terminal Server Licensing in Windows Server 2003Note Do not install any licenses on the Terminal Server License Server.
- Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Terminal Services Configuration to start the Terminal Services Configuration tool.
- In the left pane under Terminal Services Configuration, click Server Settings.
- In the right pane under Settings, right-click Licensing, and then click Properties.
- In the Licensing Mode list, click Per User, and then click OK.
- On the RD Session Host server, open Remote Desktop Session Host Configuration. To open Remote Desktop Session Host Configuration, click Start, point to Administrative Tools, point to Remote Desktop Services, and then click Remote Desktop Session Host Configuration.
- If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Yes.
- In the Edit settings section, under Licensing, double-click Remote Desktop licensing mode.
- On the Licensing tab of the Properties dialog box, select Per User mode.
Note If the Remote Desktop licensing mode choices are dimmed and you cannot make a selection, the Set the Remote Desktop licensing mode Group Policy setting has been enabled and has been applied to the RS Session Host server.
- Next, click on the Add button under "Remote Desktop license server" section to point to a RDSLS Server.
For detailed steps, see Specify a License Server for an RD Session Host Server to Use TechNet article (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770585.aspx).
- Click OK to save your changes to the licensing settings.