Hotfix informationA supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix.
Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
File informationThe English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
Date Time Version Size File name
07-Dec-2004 20:21 6.00.2900.2577 3,006,976 Mshtml.dll
You receive this error message only if the computer is running Windows XP SP2. After you apply this hotfix, restart the computer, and then follow these steps.
Note This hotfix is included in the MS05-038 Internet Explorer cumulative update. The following steps to set the registry key value are not required to enable this hotfix when MS05-038 is installed on the computer.
- Exit Internet Explorer.
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
- Create a new key that is named FeatureControl under the key that is listed in step 3.
- Create a new key that is named FEATURE_REDIRECT_COLLECTIONCACHE_KB889386 under the key that is listed in step 4.
- Select the FEATURE_REDIRECT_COLLECTIONCACHE_KB889386
- On the Edit menu, point to
New, and then click DWORD value.
- Type iexplore.exe, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click iexplore.exe, and then click
- In the Value data box, type
00000001, and then click OK.
- On the File menu, click
Article ID: 889386 - Last Review: Mar 29, 2017 - Revision: 2