- You try to run a 16-bit program.
- You have installed the MS04-032 Security Update for Microsoft Windows.
- You have disabled 8.3 file name creation for the NTFS file system.
After the MS04-032 Security Update for Microsoft Windows is installed, the NTVDM uses the TMP user variable instead of the TMP system variable. If 8.3 file name creation is disabled on your computer, the TMP user variable uses long file names.
- Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click System, click the Advanced tab, and then click Environment Variables.
- In the User variables for User_Name list, click TMP, and then click Edit.
- In the Variable value box, type c:\winnt\temp, and then click OK three times.
Alternatively, type the path of any folder that does not use long file names in the Variable Value box.
- Close Control Panel.
For additional information about the MS04-032 Security Update for Microsoft Windows, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Article ID: 889506 - Last Review: Mar 29, 2017 - Revision: 4