If you are using a Windows XP-based computer, the computer may run slowly. Additionally, you may see the following symptoms in Windows Task Manager:
- The current CPU utilization is high.
- The size of the pagefile may be as large as 1.2 GB or more.
- The Cidaemon.exe process uses lots of pagefile space and lots of CPU time.
This issue can occur if the Indexing service is running on the computer. The Indexing service uses the Cidaemon.exe process to index files. The Cidaemon.exe process builds and updates the Index catalog. Additionally, the Cidaemon.exe process typically uses lots of pagefile space and lots of CPU time.
To resolve the issue, turn off the Indexing service. To turn off the Indexing service, follow these steps:
- Double-click My Computer, point to Explorer Bar on the View menu, and then click Search.
- Click Change preferences, and then click Without Indexing Service.
- Click No, do not enable Indexing Service, and then click OK.
Article ID: 899869 - Last Review: Feb 15, 2017 - Revision: 2