- You receive one of the following error codes in the upper-right corner of the Web page:
- The Web browser that you are using stops responding (hangs).
- A time-out error occurs on the Web page.
- An Internet security suite is installed on the computer.
- The computer is configured to use a firewall.
- The computer is configured to use a proxy server.
To work around this issue, use one of the following methods.
Method 1: Configure the Internet security suite, firewall, or proxy serverImportant If the computer is part of a corporate network, contact the network administrator to help you to work around this issue.
Make sure that any Internet security suites, firewalls and proxy server configurations enable the following HTTP agents to connect to their servers by using ports 80 and 443:
- MS Clearing House Default Agent
Method 2: Disable the Internet security suite or firewallImportant If the computer is part of a corporate network, contact the network administrator to help you to work around this issue.
Temporarily disable the Internet security suite or firewall, and then use Windows Genuine Advantage to validate the copy of Windows. After your copy of Windows has been validated, re-enable the Internet security suite or firewall.
Note For information about how to configure third-party programs or hardware, view the documentation that is included with the product, or contact the product manufacturer.
The computer is running Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows Server 2003
- Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Windows Explorer.
- On the Help menu, click Is this copy of Windows legal.
The computer is not running Windows XP or Windows Server 2003To use Windows Genuine Advantage, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Article ID: 908440 - Last Review: Mar 29, 2017 - Revision: 4