Method 1: Reinstall and configure the DigitalPersona Password Manager softwareThe first time that you log on to Windows after you install the Fingerprint Reader, the Fingerprint Registration Wizard is displayed so that you can start registering fingerprints. If the Fingerprint Registration Wizard does not run, verify the following things:
- Look for DPAgnt.exe on the Processes tab in Task Manager. To view the Processes tab in Task Manager, press CTRL+ALT+DEL, click Task Manager, and then click the Processes tab.
- Examine the Startup tab in the System Configuration Utility. DPAgnt.exe should be selected. To start the System Configuration Utility, click Start, click Run, type msconfig.exe in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Make sure that the user who is logged on is a member of the Administrators group.
For information about how to install the DigitalPersona Password Manager software, see the Getting Started book that came with the Fingerprint Reader.
If reinstalling the DigitalPersona Password Manager software does not resolve the issue, follow these steps.
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK to start Registry Editor.
- Locate and then click the following registry subkey:HKEY_LOCALMACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Run
- If DPAgnt is not present in the right pane of Registry Editor when the subkey that is mentioned in step 2 is selected, follow these steps:
- With the subkey that is mentioned in step 2 selected, click New on the Edit menu, and then click String Value.
- Type DPAgnt, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click DPAgnt, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type C:\Program Files\Digitalpersona\Bin\DPAgnt.exe, and then click OK.
- On the File menu, click Exit to quit Registry Editor.
- Restart the computer.
Method 2: Manually start the Fingerprint Registration WizardTo register a fingerprint, follow these steps:
- Log on to the Windows account.
- Click Start, point to All Programs, point to DigitalPersona Password Manager, and then click Fingerprint Registration Wizard.
- Follow the Fingerprint Registration Wizard instructions on the screen.
- When you are finished registering fingerprints, click Finish.