When you follow the steps in this article, you also prepare the system so that you can reinstall SQL Server 2008.
Note To maintain or to update an instance of SQL Server 2008, you must be a local administrator who has permission to log on as a service.
How to uninstall a stand-alone instance of SQL Server 2005 manuallyNote SQL Server setup is a complicated process. SQL Server setup modifies lots of registry keys and DLL files. SQL Server setup also installs and updates permission entries and service registrations.
We test SQL Server setup procedures, both installation and uninstallation, in many configurations. However, we cannot test all configurations due to the number of third-party products and customer specific changes that can occur at the operating system level. Therefore, you may encounter rare circumstances that prevent successfully installing or uninstalling SQL Server by using the setup program.
Because of these complexities, the SQL Server Support team may recommend that you reinstall the operating system if the procedures outlined in this article do not help perform a clean uninstall of the SQL Server program. This helps provide a clean platform to reinstall SQL server on your system.
If you receive the following error message during the SQL Server 2005 Setup process, a SQL Server 2005 component was not uninstalled from the computer:
If these steps did not uninstall all the componentsIf the previous steps did not uninstall all the components, follow these steps:
- In the "How to uninstall a stand-alone instance of SQL Server 2005 manually" section, follow all steps in Step 1: Make sure that the Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files component is installed.
- In Add or Remove Programs, uninstall all SQL Server 2005 components in the following order:
- SQL Server 2005
- SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services
- SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services
- SQL Server 2005 Notification Services
- SQL Server 2005 Integration Services
- SQL Server 2005 Tools
- SQL Server 2005 Books Online
- MSXML 6.0 Parser
- SQL Server VSS Writer
- SQL Server 2005 Backward Compatibility
- Anything else that is related to SQL Server 2005
- SQL Server Native Client
- SQL Server setup support files
For more information about how to uninstall an instance of SQL Server 2000 manually, see How to manually remove SQL Server 2000 default, named, or virtual instance.