Hotfix replacement informationThe hotfix that this article (916089) describes has been replaced by a more recent hotfix (927891). Hotfix 927891 also fixes the problem that is described in the "Symptoms" section.
These problems may occur when you try to scan for Microsoft Office updates. You may also experience these problems when you use any one of the following update mechanisms:
- The Microsoft Update Web site.
- Automatic Updates through the Internet or through Windows Server Update Services (WSUS).
- Microsoft Systems Management Server Inventory Tool for Microsoft Updates (SMS ITMU).
- Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA).
- Any application that performs update scans by using the offline scan CAB file (Wsusscan.cab) that uses the Windows Update Agent (WUA).
Hotfix informationTo resolve this problem, apply the latest Msi.dll hotfix. This hotfix is described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
Hotfix replacement informationThe hotfix that was described in this article (916089) has been replaced by a more recent hotfix (927891). Hotfix 927891 includes the updates that are listed in this article. When Windows Update scans for updates that use Windows Installer, the system may stop responding. Hotfix 927891 resolves this problem.
For more information about software update terminology, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Similar problems and resolutions
If these articles do not help you resolve the problem or if you experience symptoms that differ from those that this article describes, please search the Microsoft Knowledge Base for more information. To search the Microsoft Knowledge Base, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Then, type the text of the error message that you receive, or type a description of the problem in the Search Support (KB)