Note In Word 2003, you can collaborate with others who use earlier versions of Microsoft Word or other programs. However, earlier versions of Word and some other programs may not support all the features of Word 2003.
Converters that are built into WordThe following file formats are built into Word. You do not have to install an additional text converter to open or save files that use the following file formats:
- Web page
- Web page, Filtered
- Web Archive
- Plain Text
- Encoded Text
- Rich Text Format (RTF)
- Recover Text (import only)
Text converters that are installed in a default installationThe following text converters are set to the Run from My Computer installation state. These converters are installed when you perform a default installation of Word. For example, the converters are installed when you click Install Now on the Choose the type of installation you need page of the Office 2003 Setup Wizard:
- Word 97-2003 & 6.0/95 RTF Converter
- Recover Text Converter
- Word 97 for Windows/Word 98 Macintosh
Text converters that are installed on first useThe following text converters are set to the Installed on First Use installation state:
- WordPerfect 6.x Converter
- WordPerfect 5.x Converter
- Microsoft Works for Windows 7.0
To install the text converters that are set to the Installed on First Use installation state, use one of the following methods, depending on your situation.
Method 1: Install the text converter on first useWhen you open or save a document for which the converter is not installed, you receive one of the following messages depending on your circumstances:
Method 2: Run Setup and set the text converters to the "Run from My Computer" installation stateRun Office 2003 Setup and set the text converters that you want to install to the Run from My Computer installation state. When you do this, the converters are installed to the hard disk. To install the text converters that you want by running Office 2003 Setup, follow these steps.
Note Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.
- Exit Word and all other Office 2003 programs.
- Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.
- In the list of currently installed programs, click the version of Office that you are running, and then click Change.
- On the Maintenance Mode Options page, click Add or Remove Features, and then click Next.
- On the Custom Setup page, click to select the Choose advanced customization of applications check box, and then click Next.
- On the Advanced Customization page, expand Office Shared Features in the Choose update options for applications and tools list.
- Expand Converters and Filters.
- Perform one of the following actions:
- To install all text converters, click the arrow next to Text Converters, and then click Run from My Computer.
- To install only the text converters that you want, expand Text Converters, click the arrow next to each text converter that you want to install, and then click Run from My Computer.
- Click Update.
- Click OK when you receive the message that states that Setup successfully updated your installation.
Article ID: 916832 - Last Review: Oct 10, 2012 - Revision: 1