Acquiring network address
- Type ipconfig, and then press ENTER to view the basic network configuration.
- Type ipconfig /all, and then press ENTER to view a detailed configuration report for all interfaces. This report includes any remote access adapters.
- If a computer is manually configured by using an IP address that duplicates an existing IP address that is already detected, the subnet mask appears as 0.0.0.0.
- If the local IP address is 169.254.y.z and if the subnet mask is 255.255.0.0, the IP address was assigned by the Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) feature of Windows XP Professional. This assignment indicates the following:
- TCP/IP is configured for automatic configuration.
- No Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server was found.
- No alternative configuration is specified.
- This configuration has no default gateway for the interface.
- If the local IP address is returned as 0.0.0.0, the DHCP Media Sensing feature override is turned on. The feature override is turned on because the network adapter detected the lack of connection to a network or because TCP/IP detected an IP address that duplicates a manually configured IP address.
Article ID: 921127 - Last Review: Mar 29, 2017 - Revision: 4