When you try to use Disk Defragmenter on a Microsoft Windows XP-based computer, the following symptoms may occur:
- When you click Analyze or Defragment, nothing happens.
- When you try to use the Defrag.exe command-line tool, you receive the following error message:Windows cannot connect to the Disk Defragmenter engine.
- The Defragment Now button is unavailable.
- When you click Defragment Now, you receive the following error message:The Disk Defragmenter is not installed on your computer. To install it, double-click the Add or Remove Programs icon in Control Panel, click the Install/Uninstall tab, and then follow the instructions on your screen.
This issue occurs because Disk Defragmenter is not installed on the computer.
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type C:\Windows\Inf, and then click OK.Note Substitute C with the drive letter of the local hard disk.
- Right-click the dfrg.inf file, and then click Install.
Article ID: 922379 - Last Review: Mar 29, 2017 - Revision: 3