Bug #: 426887 (SQLBUDT)
You can successfully open the report server site in Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services. However, when you try to open the Report Manager tool, you receive one of the following error messages:
Error message 1
The request failed with HTTP status 400: Bad Request.
Error message 2
An attempt to connect to the report server failed. Check the connection information, and examine the compatibility with the current report server you are using.This problem occurs when you assign an IP address that differs from the IP address of the local host (127.0.0.1) for the report server site.
This problem occurs because the Report Manager tool uses the incorrect server URL for the report server site. The URL of the report server site for which the Report Manager tool searches is specified in the ReportServerUrl tag in the file RSWebApplication.config file. By default, if you leave this tag blank, the Report Manager tool uses "Localhost" as the server URL.
To work around this problem, follow these steps:
- Open the file RSWebApplication.config file in a text editor. The RSWebApplication.config file is located in the following folder: SQLInstall\MSSQL.X\Reporting Services\ReportManagerNote SQLInstall represents the location where SQL Server 2005 is installed. MSSQL.X represents the instance ID of SQL Server 2005 Report Services.
- Delete the entry in the ReportServerVirtualDirectory tag.
Note You must not delete the ReportServerVirtualDirectory tag. Only remove the value of the ReportServerVirtualDirectory tag.
- In the ReportServerUrl tag, type a fully qualified URL to the report server. For example, use the following format:
- Save the RSWebApplication.config file, and then close the text editor.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
Steps to reproduce the problem
- Start Internet Services Manager.
- Expand Web Sites, right-click Default Web Site, and then click Properties.
- In the Properties dialog box, type a static IP address in the IP Address box.
- Click OK to close the Properties dialog box.
- Connect to the Report Manager tool.
Article ID: 922656 - Last Review: Feb 16, 2017 - Revision: 2