- Click Start, click All Programs, click Maintenance, and then click Backup and Restore Center.
- Click Set up backup, select the location for your backup files, and then click Next.
- Continue with the wizard to select the following:
- The drives and the file types to back up
- How frequently to back up the drives and the file types
- What time of day to perform the backup
- Finish the wizard, and then click Save Settings and Start Backup.
- When the back up is complete, perform a clean install of Windows XP. For more information about how to perform a clean installation of Windows XP, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:316941 How to install or upgrade to Windows XP
For more information about going back to Windows XP after you have upgraded a Windows XP-based computer to Windows Vista, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Article ID: 925809 - Last Review: Dec 24, 2009 - Revision: 1