You connect a digital still camera to a computer that is running one of the following operating systems:
- Windows Vista
- Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 2 (SP2)
- Windows XP Home Edition SP2
- Windows XP Professional SP2
- The AutoPlay window does not appear.
- The AutoPlay window appears. However, the Import Pictures and Videos option is unavailable.
- The camera is not listed in the Import from Camera or Scanner dialog box in Windows Photo Gallery or in Windows Live Photo Gallery.
This problem occurs if the camera uses the Microsoft Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) standard to transfer pictures to the computer. Windows Vista and Windows XP SP2 use the Windows Portable Devices (WPD) standard instead of the WIA standard to import pictures and videos. The WPD standard supports many devices and device connectivity options.
To resolve this problem, configure the camera to use the Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) standard instead of the WIA standard. For information about how to configure the camera to use the PTP standard, see the owner's manual for the camera. Or, visit the camera manufacturer's Web site.
Article ID: 927836 - Last Review: Oct 22, 2008 - Revision: 1